Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Excuse Me, Please


So at least one of my readers is worried about where I've been. (It's just my big sister who worries a lot in general ;o)

Let me say that in this case, no news is good news. So much going on, I really haven't had time!

First of all, my church asked me to help head up a ministry for people who have lost their jobs. Turns out I know a little bit about that! In the last two weeks or so, we've met a couple times to talk about what it will look like, design a "curriculum," find a guest speaker to kick it off, etc. I'm in charge of the marketing part, which includes getting a logo designed which I've included in this post. (props to Susan Cooper for the hard work!) And I may even get to lead a session. Our goal is to focus on uplifting spirits and giving people the tools they need to be successful in their job search (how to use online networks, resume writing, etc.).

Losing a job is like losing part of your identity, and it's something you can't fully comprehend until it happens to you. The longer it lasts, the harder it gets too.

So it's nice to be able to turn a bad thing into a good thing like this. I have a great support system and faith foundation (plus a decent financial situation) to make this time easier, but I know I'm very fortunate. A lot of other people probably don't and depending on how long they've been unemployed, may be really floundering. The depressing news the media cranks out every day surely doesn't help. So this ministry will help combat all that.

That's one thing.

Another is the Time Bank (I mentioned it three posts ago in The Office - Episode 1.) My church gave me the go ahead to start moving on that. So I've been trying out the software and will soon be inviting all the church staff to get online and play around with it. It's going to be really cool! People serving each other out of their gifts and strengths, and also receiving from others in a way that meets their own practical or emotional need. Relationships will be built along with a stronger sense of community, and members will feel useful and productive because they're sharing something that gives them joy with others.

I'm starting to get some paying work too. Met this morning with a friend and her business partner about helping them develop their brand identity, a marketing plan and some marketing materials. I'm experimenting with consulting (not just writing) and trying to determine all the services I want to offer, so for being my guinea pigs, in return they get a discounted rate for all the trials and tribs that might come with that. I realized last week when we first started talking that I had much more expertise to offer than I gave myself credit for, so this will be a good confidence builder. I took for granted how little the "average person" actually knows about successful marketing/advertising because I've always been surrounded by folks who knew at least as much if not more than me. It's like all this stuff has been lying dormant within because I've never really needed it before - someone else always had it covered and it was "not my job." Now it is!

I've also got a mtg tomorrow to help a small investment firm with some marketing materials, and a couple of other prospects are looming.

BTW, I've come up with a name for my new business, but won't reveal it at this time. I have some work yet to do on a business plan and to begin shaping my own brand identity, but when I'm ready to kick it off, a designer friend (she's awesome!) has offered to help with a logo and web design for free!

Now that you know all I've been up to, I hope you'll excuse me for my failure to blog. I'll try to do better, but take comfort in the future that:

no blog = a happy, busy me!

3 comments:

  1. so, you think it's your sister, the worrier, huh? guess again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. is it my brother, the other worrier?

    ReplyDelete