Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Cue the U2 - It's a Beautiful Day

What a gorgeous day!

I'm sitting in my new "home office" (which looks an awful lot like my old guest bedroom) looking out the open window at the blue sky, listening to the birds and enjoying the cool breeze caressing my cheek.

I am very content right now.

Spent yesterday and today trying to make this space conducive to working. The work table I pulled out of the closet is a bit too high for my office chair. It's fine for now -- I'm sitting on pillows -- but I don't think it's very ergonomically healthy long term.

How's this for instant karma? I was coming in yesterday through my front door, which I hardly ever do, and noticed my neighbor's friend's car had its parking lights on. I knocked on the door to let them know. We started chatting about stuff and I mentioned I was on my way to Office Depot to check out printers/faxes. He offered me his fairly new HP color printer, said he never used it. And possibly his scanner if I need it. It pays to do the right thing!

Speaking of tech stuff, TWC comes out next week to set up my internet and phone. I had just two weeks ago downgraded my cable to save money, but now that I'm going to be officing out of my home, I decided to get internet and phone since I can write off the upgrade as a business expense. I was paying +/- $110 for expanded cable and very basic phone with AT&T (no call waiting, LD, etc.), but I bundled my services and now I'll get basic cable/HS internet/digital phone (with everything) for $87. I've been using my neighbor's wireless with their permission for about three years - it will be nice to have my own reliable connection.

Other than that, just chasing down some freelance leads. I happened to stop by a barbecue Sunday for just 30 minutes (I wasn't going to go at all b/c I couldn't stay long) and met a girl who said her agency might have some work for me. We've already exchanged emails. I'm meeting with someone else on Thursday about possible jobs, and in general just trying to get the word out that my shingle is up.

Have three babysitting jobs this week, a kitchen-packing job and my regular dog-walking job so I have some money ($250) coming in. It's better than nothing.

I plan to go to some garage sales this weekend and see if I can get some things for a home office. I was about to buy some things yesterday at Office Depot but felt like I should wait. Maybe He has some more "karma" for me.

When you're doing what you're supposed to be doing, things just flow, and I really feel Him leading me in this freelance direction.

Ahhhh... direction. How I've missed you! :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment