It feels like a Monday. Even worse, it feels like the Monday after Daylight Savings Time when we've lost a precious hour of sleep.Blech.
I set the alarm for 7 today, but could not get up because it was still dark outside. Fell back asleep and woke again at 9. Not the worst thing in the world, but I got up feeling like I was behind the 8 ball and have been struggling to catch up ever since.
It's also humid and cloudy out. On the verge of raining, but just won't do it. It's like the sky is constipated.
So - Monday, lost an hour, overslept, dreary weather...
And, oh yeah, I'm unemployed. I'm finally feeling like the "vacation" is over and I need to actively start looking for a job. Not just talk about looking for one anymore. *heavy sigh*
I still don't know what I'm looking for. :o(
So I try to do things that make me feel productive. I filled out the COBRA paperwork this morning and got that in the mail. My friend who is an employee benefits lawyer for TI shared some good news with me that I would not otherwise have heard. A short-term measure has been passed requiring employers to subsidize 65% of premium payments for workers they have laid off until the end of this year. That means instead of being $480 a month (dental/medical), they'll be around $170. My money will last a lot longer!
Tomorrow morning I am going to call a contact at The Salvation Army and see if they have any positions available. TSA has come up a couple of times over the last few weeks so I really need to see what that's all about. Especially since I have a connection from my last job. I just love what they're doing. The video below is from the Adult Rehabilitation Center site, which is the last project I completed at CH. Special plug: if you are getting rid of any furniture, appliances, etc. consider donating there. The ARC programs are funded entirely by the proceeds from their sale. (Did I get that right, Catherine?)
Writing a book has also come up. I spoke with a published author (of three thriller novels) over the weekend and he recommended a Creative Writing class at SMU. I looked on their website last night and there is one starting the end of this month. All the others I might be interested in started in January and were for the whole semester. It's not cheap though - $425 for six classes. And I'm not entirely sure what I'd do with it since I have no concept for a book in mind. It just seems logical to everyone (including me) that a writer must write a book. Maybe "if you write it, they (the ideas) will come"???
I am also trying to engage the entrepreneurial part of my brain and keep my eyes (and mind) open for a niche that no one has filled. I would love to have my own business. Don't know how you do it with no money, but I guess that is what houses are for - collateral. If that's God's will, He'll make a way.
Hope your week is off to a great start!
yea! So glad to hear the updates, and I can't wait to hear what comes from TSA. (and yes, your copy writing prowess is still spot on. the rehab program is entirely funded by the proceeds from your donations.)
ReplyDelete