Saturday, March 21, 2009

Spring Break 2009


Where've you been?!

Oh, wait. I'm the one not blogging.

Where've I been?

On spring break in crazy land. I pulled out my calendar to remember what all I've been doing. It was that kind of week.

Here's a down-and-dirty overview:
  • I child/pet/house sat for a family on spring break (am actually here for one more night). Daughter was here for two nights because she was in a softball tourney, then I took her to the airport. The dogs are an 85-lb black lab and a 3 1/2 lb white teacup maltese. You should see us go for a walk! And there's a cat who comes and goes when he pleases. The house is very nice so I kinda felt like I got to go on spring break, too. It was a good change of scenery.
  • I started building a web page with my portfolio samples to help me get some freelance work. It's not finished yet, but you can click here to check it out. It's kind of time intensive making screen grabs, writing captions, etc. but I hope to have it done tomorrow.
  • I wrote one of my two entries for the Join the Journey daily devotional. It covered Numbers 32. If you've read that chapter and want some insight, just let me know. I am thoroughly familiar with it.
  • I met with someone at church about an idea God laid on my heart. I am not ready to discuss it publicly yet, but they were very interested, and told me do research and find out specifics. I've sent off for materials to get the project started. Don't know if it's something I could make a living at, but it's possible.
  • I met with someone else at church about copy projects. We have a bimonthly "magazine" and they need articles written for it. I'd probably have to do it for free, but it will keep me writing.
  • I spent two half days at the NTFB working for my friend in the Giving dept. doing donor research. She introduced me to a lot of people, and I got some practical experience and a peek into a day-in-the-life at a non-profit. I am supposed to go back again next week to meet some folks who were on spring break that may need some freelance help. (Aside: I firmly believe all this "free" work will turn into something long-term on down the road. I look at it as paying it forward.)
  • I got my first COBRA bill. I have to say, this is the first time in seven weeks of unemployment that something has gotten me down. It was $1500 for Feb/March/April. Health insurance is going to make my money go super fast. I would do without it if I could. But I found out if you go w/o coverage for more than 63 days, it will mess you up on down the road when you do get insurance. If you are diagnosed with something, they could point to that gap and say "uh-uh, we ain't covering that. it's a pre-existing condition as far as we know." There is a bit of good news with the financial part: evidently the government included a short-term measure in the stimulus bill requiring employers to subsidize 65% of premiums for anyone unemployed as of September through the end of this year. It doesn't take effect until April though, and I don't know if I'll get a refund for the difference or if they'll just apply it to future months. But they don't know how long I'll be unemployed, so they better give it back!
  • The same day I got my COBRA bill, the IRS deposited my refund in my account - $1800. So I wasn't down for too long. God is good that way.
  • I contacted a friend of a friend about some freelance work and he sounded like there might be something there. We're supposed to meet early next week to discuss opportunities.
  • I got my hairs cut. All of them.
  • I took an all-day class today at SMU called "The Secrets of Writing Well: The Ultimate Guide." Can you tell? Do I sound different? Go on, you can say "you've always written well, Victoria." It's true. Actually, it was fun! Some of it was refresher, some was new. It's a prerequisite to another class I want to take for writing narrative non-fiction. As I've said before, I do believe there's a book on down the road for me.
  • I went to a lingerie shower for a young lady in my extended family. Yep, the cousins' kids are starting to lap me in the marital area. It's okay. My time is coming soon.
  • I rejoiced in the Aggies advancing to the second round of the NCAA tourney! :o)
  • I mourned our quick exit at the hands of bball powerhouse UConn. :o(
  • It was also my sister's and my mom's birthday this week -- HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

That's my week in a nutshell - a really big nutshell. I'd like to see the squirrel can haul that sucker around in his cheek.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment