Thursday, March 5, 2009

Adventures in Babysitting

I'm back!

Did you miss me? Or perhaps I should ask, did you even notice I was gone? :o)

I returned from my job in Houston yesterday afternoon. It was a very good week! I got to walk in the shoes of a stay-at-home mom and I must say, they fit me like a comfy old pair of size 9 cowboy boots.

I can't sugar coat it and say that it was all giggles and grins - it is not for the faint of heart. Especially around bathtime/bedtime. I had all three kids (reminder: ages 4, 3 and 10 months) by myself several hours a day. The girls are at an age where they're exploring independence and the boy is exploring - period. He's very mobile!

But I never raised my voice nor was I reduced to childish behavior to retaliate for childish behavior. I say that because in the past both of those probably would have been my response in moments of frustration. Nice to see I have grown up!

If I had my druthers about a new career, this would be it. I am definitely a behind the scenes person - I don't care about glory or promotion. Fixing nutritious meals, caring for others in the day-to-day, helping little ones grow up to be kind, loving, productive human beings -- that satisfies me.

The only problem is that kind of life is nowhere in sight for me at this moment. So I take it to God every day and ask Him to give me patience while He prepares me for that. And prepares that for me. I truly believe that is what is going on here. This belief isn't based on wishful thinking. It's based on where I have been and things that have happened along the way to here.

A lot of people might say "give it up, girl. you're 42 and that ship has sailed." Well, what if God has a speedboat ready and waiting to help catch me up to the ship? God doesn't like it when we give up on Him. That is the antithesis of faith. He has his own timetable for things, and just because it doesn't fit with what the rest of the world says is "normal" doesn't mean it's too late for something.

For the vision is yet for the appointed time.
It hastens toward the goal and will not fail.
Though it tarries, wait for it.
For it will certainly come and will not delay.
Habakkuk 2:3

And Andrew Murray says this:
Our great danger, in this school of the answer delayed, is the temptation to think that, after all, it may not be God's will to give us what we ask. If our prayer be according to God's word, and under the leading of the Spirit, let us not give way to these fears. Let us learn to give God time. God needs time with us. If only we give Him time, that is, time in the daily fellowship with Himself, for Him to exercise the full influence of His presence on us, and time, day by day, in the course of our being kept waiting, for faith to prove its reality and to fill our whole being, He Himself will lead us from faith to vision; we shall see the glory of God. Let no delay shake our faith... Child of God, give the Father time. He is patiently listening to you. He wants the blessing to be rich, and full, and sure; give Him time, while you cry day and night. Only remember the word: "I tell you that He will avenge them speedily." (Luke 18:8)

In the past, I've given up on God far too soon just because I couldn't see what was happening beyond my little world, because another similar experience ended a certain way or because of a distorted view of what God was really like (He was stern and vengeful). I will not do that anymore!

I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord. Be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.
Psalm 27


No comments:

Post a Comment