Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Pensive and Expensive


I'm almost through Week 6. It's crazy but it still just feels like I'm taking a really looooooooooooooooong weekend. I guess it might finally hit me when I start interviewing. Or perhaps when I run out of money. Which at the rate I'm moving may happen before the interviewing starts.

I need to hunker down and figure this out! Oh wait, I said something like that in my last post, didn't I? Well, I did make a phone call yesterday to the Salvation Army, and the guy called me back. He was incredibly nice - I was pleasantly surprised he called a stranger back even though it was just to tell me they had no open positions. He left like a 2 minute message about other avenues I might try though. I was going to call him back this afternoon to try and pick his brain, but I got caught on a very looooooooooooooooooooong phone call. (you know who you are)

At least I have some money coming in. Should get my tax refund any day. That buys me another month to cover expenses. I have a weeklong house/child/pet sitting gig this coming week (the "child" is 16 and will only be there for two nights) and another one lined up for April, plus some additional dogwalking and babysitting. That probably adds up to half a month.

I'm going to start pursuing freelance jobs too. My mom gave me an article about how companies are moving to contract workers (for obvious reasons). If I got several of those going, I can see really stretching this out and buying myself even more time to put off looking for a FT job.

I am trying to cut down my standard of living. I've been limiting myself on eating out and driving unnecessarily. I pulled the plug on my cable yesterday. Since I gave up TV for Lent, I can't justify paying for it. They're coming out to disconnect tomorrow (so my bill will go from $76 to $20 a month for just network). I still can't bring myself to get rid of my landline which is $35 a month -- that's just a basic no-frills package. No call waiting, caller ID, etc. My alarm system is connected through it - that's another $32 a month. I could get rid of both, but my alarm makes me feel safe. Without my puppy dog, who's gonna protect me from people who want my stuff? Or me?!

Cell phone is the least amount of minutes I think I can get by on. I try to keep heat/AC use to minimum but no matter what it runs a pretty penny. Beyond cable there's really nothing else I can cut out. Scratch that. Nothing else I'm willing to cut out. Could I get by with nothing if I had to? Sure. But I'm not there yet.

In a couple weeks I'll start paying for health insurance and that will really bite. Three months' pay for COBRA will be due all at once (two months retro coverage, plus April). Though my HR/Benefits lawyer friend told me recent legislation requiring my employer to subsidize 65% of my premium until the end of '09. That is VERY helpful. Thanks, Obama.

It sure is expensive to be alive! But I'm grateful that I am. That means God still has something for me to do.

"For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord."

Any time you're ready, Lord, I'm all ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment