I always knew I would see many blessings come out of the misfortune of losing my job if I looked for them. I just didn't know they would be apparent so soon.One so far is that I have been able to spend a lot more time with my little sister Terecka. She is nearing the end of her training time at the Job Corps and needs to find a job to be able to "graduate."
Had I been working that Friday the 13th, we wouldn't have hung out, much less gone to Chick-Fil-A for a really late lunch (see earlier post Busy Me and Prophecy), and she wouldn't have been greeted by those really happy guys, whose cheerfulness triggered her request for an application and led to an impromptu introduction to the manager who invited her back for an interview. Quite a lucky day as it turns out.
I was also available to take her to the first interview that next Wednesday. And because I was one of the references she listed, the manager asked to speak to me right then and there.
I told him all the reasons they should hire her (and even why they shouldn't, which was a question he asked me). Then he impressed me with some facts about working there, about how they treat their people including their concern with late hours and public transportation for a 16-yr old. They even said they wouldn't schedule her for Friday AND Saturday nights b/c they know she wants to have a social life. And that they're closed on Sundays, which I already knew but she didn't.
Because I had been there too, and had the same first-hand knowledge she did, we were able to talk through all the pros and cons of this job and another one she was interested in (that she was ultimately offered). In other words, I actually got to mentor my mentoree. :o)
She had a second interview yesterday and they offered her the job. She starts training on Wednesday!
I just see this as opening all sorts of doors for her because Chick-fil-A offers college scholarships, leadership training, etc. And the thing is she really wants to work. She wants to save money for college and to spend on herself. She's excited now (her first real job) and I know she'll be great. I feel as proud as if she were my own child!
I'm not saying any of this was my idea or that I'm responsible for how any of it turned out. I just think my availability at this particular point in time quite possibly has had a direct impact on this young lady's future.
God knew back when he matched us up through Big Brothers/Big Sisters all that was going to happen. What if the relationship we've been building, the trust I was gaining from her, etc., what if that has all been leading up to this - a chance lunch at Chick-fil-A that turned into something much bigger? That's all Him. You may think it's just a coincidence, and that's your prerogative, but my God is much more personal than that and He delights in using us -- when we're available -- to help Him work out His plans for others. I just so happened to be available. But one month ago, I wouldn't have been.
Another blessing of this season is being able to do more stuff with my mom and sister. With a full-time job, I was always putting them last (or close to it). Now I can do, and have done, some mid-day activities that I rather enjoyed (going to hear Karen Hughes and going to the JLD Road Show, for example). I still have a ways to go to say I see them "all the time," but baby steps here, people!
This week is going to be busy. Tomorrow I have an appt. with the periodontist about my receding gums. I had made the appt. before I lost my job, and decided to keep it because I know they'll be a problem if not now, in the very near future. My dentist has been telling me to go for three years. I was going to go two years ago, but chickened out. I was going to last year, but had major surgery that tied up my funds elsewhere (and gave me a convenient excuse). This was going to be the year I finally went through with it. I even set up deductions for my FSA to allow for my out-of-pocket expenses and made the appt. for the consult. Then... another derailment.
I'll be interested to see how this goes. The office manager told me they would work with me and my situation (aka, joblessness). That if it's possible to postpone surgery a little while, they'll tell me so. If not, it's all in God's hands. (That's the part I'm interested in.)
Also on the calendar this week, I told my friend Rae Ann I'd come help with her kindergarten classes Tues and Wed while her aide is out. This will give me good exposure to a day in the life at a public school and help me decide if it's something I can see myself doing.
I have my regular dogwalking and an afternoon babysitting gig before I head down to Houston on Friday for the mother of all babysitting gigs - four days with Margaret's three kids under five. (I will have some help so don't think it's just me that whole time.)
I think it will be a lot of fun, very rewarding and very tiring at the same time. I have a lot of friends down there and know if I get overwhelmed/lost/unsure/out of my league/inconsolable, I can call any one of them. And one of Margaret's friends, that I don't know well, has even offered to have us over for dinner and to take us to a birthday party on Sunday. How awesome is that?!
That's yet another blessing - being available to spend good quality time with these little people I love. Would I rather be sitting at a desk coddling an overbearing client, meeting another unrealistic deadline and fending off an antsy PM (who's just trying to do their job)? Or sitting cross-legged on the floor cuddling a really cute baby boy, meeting for a tea party with two young ladies and fending off monsters under the bed? Hmmmmm...
What do you think?
Go Terecka Go! So happy to hear about blessings in disguise.
ReplyDelete