Sunday, February 8, 2009

I'll Have What He's Having


I've never really liked the Cheesecake Factory.

Not because they have bad food or bad service (though the one by me has TERRIBLE parking) , but because their menu's so stinkin' huge. Sandwiches, burgers, steak, salads, Italian, Mexican, Asian, etc. I get totally overwhelmed. Especially if I go in there without any kind of craving. I could get the fish tacos, but what if what I really wanted was the Margherita pizza, the California omelette, or the potstickers. Even if I can narrow down my craving to, say Mexican, there are still muchos possibilities just within that one cuisine category.

This makes it really easy to pick the wrong thing - something that doesn't "hit the spot." Because I don't know what I'm aiming for.

That's how I feel right now in my employment "situation."

Things are wide open for me. Just one week into it and I'm already being bombarded with choices. (Which is not a bad thing, I know.)

Last night at the party, David (the honoree) introduced me to his boss. Their company is doing really well, so well in fact that they need like 15 people this week to help them launch a product on time. It would not be at all related to my background, but it would be easy extra income.

Another friend offered to put me in touch with his friend who owns his own agency and may need some freelance help. I have been doing this for years - this would be a very comfortable fit.

Then at church this morning a friend I hadn't seen in awhile told me she had been thinking about me recently when she learned about a PR position in Atlanta - she didn't know I had lost my job. Atlanta. Again, sounds like a good fit, but I had not been thinking about relocating.

Pizza, omelette, potstickers.

I have to be very careful here. They can't all be for me. In fact, maybe none is for me. Truly only God knows. He has a very special plan for my life and I could easily derail the whole thing by not consulting with Him, not waiting for His timing or thinking I can see where any one of these is going and running on ahead.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. (Am now using it as a dust rag.)

I've heard this before, but very recently I was reminded again that God has something for each of us to do while we're here on earth, and if we don't do it, it doesn't get done. Ever. Because there's only one you and you only have one lifetime.

Take that one step further. If we don't stop to ask Him what that thing is we were created to do, how can we possibly accomplish it?

To me that's like being given a check for $50 million, but never cashing it because I'm making $50K over here doing my own thing. It doesn't get me as far as I'd like, but hey, I'm getting by alright.

Who wants to just get by, raise your hand. Not me!

In church this morning, we had a visitor, a football coach from a local Christian high school. You may have read his story recently - it happened about the same time as the Christian school's girls' basketball team 100-0 win fiasco, but didn't get as much press for some reason, even though it's definitely the better story.

If you haven't seen, it's totally worth a read.

I don't know this guy's background at all but I think about the choices he must have had going into the game. He's a coach. He gets paid to win (as well as instill character, teach teamwork, etc.). That could have been his only agenda and it would have been a fine one. That IS the point of athletic competitions. But I think he let himself be used for a bigger purpose and not only did his team win, but the other team won, the fans won - even me as a reader - I won.

I'm willing to bet getting to the place where he had a platform to do what he did came about by a series of seemingly random (but divinely inspired) choices. He had not a clue where he was headed until he looked on the schedule and saw that opponent coming up.

All this to say, while I don't know what I'm hungry for jobwise - what will "hit the spot" - God does.

I'm going to let Him order for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment