But keep in mind, I am an exceptionally skilled unemployed person, adept at the art of time wasting. Therefore, I hope you will think of not blogging as a marvelous use of that particular talent.
Actually, I have been doing some worthwhile things since my last post. I have filed for unemployment (!), enrolled in a CPR/First Aid class, met a friend's newborn, started a regular dogwalking gig, cooked dinner for my small group, babysat for a friend, attended book club and am about to meet my mom and sister to head over to the Junior League for an alternative version of "Antiques Road Show." [We're taking some family pieces to be evaluated. I'm hoping one will be a long-lost, highly treasured artifact we can sell and then I won't have to get a job!]
Later today, I am taking my little sister Terecka to a job interview at Chick-fil-A. I would really love for her to work there. We went last Friday for lunch and the guys who waited on us were SO happy, they caused her to ask them what they were so happy about. One replied "We just love the Lord, that's all." She asked for an application and the manager said he'd call this week, which he did. Now she's going to meet with him.
Having been exposed to the Chick-fil-A brand for the last several years through my job, I know their values and think it would be a really positive environment for her to be in. Plus it's in a good neighborhood. Some of the places where she's interviewing, I worry about the location, the late hours, the kind of people that frequent them. She's super mature for 16 and she's got a good head on her shoulders -- I think working there would help her keep moving in the right direction.
I wish my own job search was as defined as hers (she's been taking culinary classes at Job Corps, so this was a logical next step). I'm not too much further down the road of discovering what I'm meant to do.
That poll on Facebook yielded good answers, but they, of course, were pretty vague. Non-profits, teaching, ministry, stand-up comedy... Those were pretty much the areas I was thinking about anyway, except for the last one. I'm kinda over the late nights and club scenes, but I guess if I could entertain seniors while they're eating dinner at 5:30, I might consider it. Then I could still be in bed by 10 myself. Bonus tangent: if I made one of them laugh so hard they choked on their gruel, I can put my new CPR certification to use!
I have dedicated tomorrow to redoing my resume. It almost feels pointless since none of my past experience will matter much in my new TBD career. But I'm thinking nobody will interview me without one - no matter how cute and personable I am.
I just bought a book called "You Were Made for More" by Jim Cymballa, pastor of the Brooklyn Tabernacle. It's really good and it reinforces the idea I mentioned in an earlier post that we were created to do something unique during our time here. I don't want to just have another job. I want to do what I was created to do. Not that I wasn't doing what I was created to do in the past. I was doing exactly that. But that season is over. I hope I served God well while I was doing it. I tried to be my best for Him exactly where He planted me. But He has made it very clear (via my prophecy on 1/11*) it's time to move on to the next thing.
If He has by chance made it clear to you what the next thing is, HOLLA! I'm off to the Road Show.
* This is the transcript of the prayer prayed over me when I went (for the first time) to my friend's church on 1/11/09 - it was recorded via iPhone:
"Would the young lady sitting next to Sister Kim come forward and let me pray for her?...
Every battle we go through, no matter what it is, even if it’s a battle in business, God has the power to bring you through because the battle is not yours. All these elements warring against you in business..., God says those powers were going to be broken. That you were going to soon see a change and you’re going to know that God brought it into your life....The Lord told me to tell you you couldn’t be destroyed. You believe that? That this year you will be stronger than you’ve ever been.
And I saw a miracle even go into your blood system, that there was gonna be a new strength in your body. You believe that? And that from this day forth you’re going to find a physical change in your body beginning to happen. After months go by you’re going to know that God made it real. Father I thank you for it right now, that no weapon formed against this woman in business, in what she does to make her money, can prosper. But God you’re going to destroy that yoke and you’re going to bring blessing to this woman... and she’s gonna know, God, you set it in order. That man and the devil couldn’t stop her when God had ordained her cup to run over. God, you decree that word tonight over this precious woman’s life, that she’s gonna see a divine change from this day forward, she’s gonna know that the battle is not hers but the Lord’s."
There were a lot of "warring elements" at my job that I will not discuss further, but I will say it's such a relief to not feel trapped by and subjected to them any more. Just an FYI, though the blood system thing isn't 100% clear, I have taken it to mean health issues will not be a concern for me during this time with no insurance coverage -- which just so happens to be cold and flu season!
No comments:
Post a Comment